02 November 2007

Baby Steps...

Not for Max but for me. Last night I had my 1st counseling session with a service that my Dr. recommended. It's almost an hour away but she raved about how great they were so I made an appt.

I was VERY nervous...I have been feeling better and wasn't sure that I wanted to spill my guts to someone that doesn't even know me....but I sucked it up and went and I have to say that I am glad that I did. The Counselor was extremely friendly and did not make me feel like I was crazy or losing my mind. I had to fill out a form called an Edinburgh, basically a form that lists all kinds of symptoms and I had to check off the ones that I have felt since I had Max and especially in the last few weeks. It was kind of scary how many I checked off. But again I sucked it up and finished all the paperwork she gave me.

After all the initial forms we sat and talked for about an hour. She asked me all about the move to NJ, Max's birth, how I felt immediately after, and then about when I started noticing how sad/frustrated/angry/tired/helpless I was feeling...hard to say just one because I really have gone through the whole gamut. She said that many things can contribute to PPD (postpartum depression ~ a difficult birth, lack of sleep, in balance of hormones, etc. , she was very positive and was extremely understanding and even gave me some homework to do.

~ I have to cut down on my caffeine in the morning (because the coffee will keep me awake most of the day I have to allow my self to get tired in the afternoon and try to sleep or at best lay down on the couch and rest.
~ I have to eat breakfast, preferably a protein.
~ I need to exercise at least a few times a week
~ I have to ask Karl for help and not be afraid talking about how I am feeling
~ And last but not least I have to not worry about being the Perfect Mother...a.ka. I don't have to have a spotlessly clean house, the dishes can sit in the sink for a day, the laundry can wait...etc.

The last two are going to be especially hard. I am horrible as asking for help and I have a constant feeling that I should be doing something while Max is sleeping. BUT I am just going to keep trying and hope for the best! Needless to say I go back in two weeks....stay tuned for more later!!!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Will you just take a nap already! It will do wonders for you. SO what if there is dog hair on the floor. This never seems to bother men so why should it bother us?!

The Nut House... said...

Dear Friend,

My house looks like a tornado hit it. In fact Emily is the Tornado. F5
Greg is the hurricane Category 5. My laundry is NEVER done. I am lucky if a day can go by without toothpaste in the sink. Oh and speaking of sinks... I still have a mountain of stuff in my kitchen sink from last night because frankly my dear... I don't give a damn. I have 30 years to pay my mortgage, so I figure I have that much time to get things accomplished.

No stress. Now go lay down.

Miralee said...

Ok, Ok, Ok....I give! LOL! I will try and take a nap. Or at the most read for a bit! Love you both!!!