17 December 2007

Part Deux of the Rudolph Romance...

I know that you all have been anxiously waiting for the second installment of Karl and I's romance so enjoy. Let's see I left off with groveling...So not long after the grovel remark Karl and I ended up hanging out with mutual friends: Carl, Teresa, Jill, and Renee so we were still seeing each other quite often. Then Karl was promoted to a Manager position and was transferred to Grand Blanc so then we really got to see each other quite often.



I have to digress for one moment to share a bit of info about myself. I had what you could say a colorful childhood, no need to go into details but let's just say the idea of marriage and children was not something I was looking for. At the time I used to just tell myself that it was something that I didn't want but really deep down inside it was just something I was deathly afraid of. Ok back to the story



Karl and I actually started to become friends, he would stop by my office and we would chat, maybe go out and have lunch together, just really got to know each other. It was nice. It's funny because I remember telling my friend Jill one day that I just didn't feel like our "story" was over, that there was something going on between us but we just weren't really ready for it. Throughout this time Karl and I had some pretty good talks and about some pretty serious topics. Family, marriage, kids, etc. I also didn't hesitate to let him know my views on the subjects either. I have never been the type of person to keep my mouth shut - I am what you might call opinionated. We also had been talking on the phone quite often and we had pretty much told each other that we really liked each other. Karl wasn't shy of expressing his opinions either. He told me one day that he wanted a family, marriage, the whole kit-n-caboodle. When I didn't feel the same way he said that there was no way he was going to start a relationship with me. He didn't want to get serious and then 2 years later me break his heart by denying him what he wanted. We just decided to be friends.



By this time winter was calling and one night after work Jill, Karl, and myself met up for happy hour at a local restaurant/bar right. I think it may have been right before Christmas. We just hung out, ate some food, and had a few beers. Well the few beers turned into a few more and the next thing I know we are talking about marriage and kids and all kinds of serious talk. Poor Jill. She was stuck in the middle of the two of us - both of wanting to have a relationship and neither one wanting to budge. Finally she said that the talk was to serious for her and she left. We continued on with our talk. I finally told him that I was just scared to have the whole life that he wanted. He basically told me to get over it. That I didn't have to pass my childhood down to my kids. It was up to me to change things.



We kept going back and forth and at one point he said, "this is stupid, we both like each other, we want to have a relationship, one of us just has to suck it up and take a chance." This may have been the beer talking but deep down inside I know that it was what I wanted, I said "fine....let's date." We spent the rest of the night talking.



Karl left for New York the next day for 2 weeks for the holidays and I spent the holidays with my family but we talked every day. I think that he was had been gone for about 4 -5 days and one night he called me up before he was going to bed and was telling me all about his trip and right before we were getting ready to hang up he told me he loved me. At first I didn't really comprehend it and then I realized what he said and I asked him if he said what I thought he did and he kind of chuckled and said yes and I just about bawled and told him right back. We have been together every since.



This was December of 2002 and I thank God every day for him. The last 5 years have been the best of my life and I truly don't know what I would do without him. He is the most stubborn man I know, he is old fashioned, and would never talk (outside of work) if I didn't make him, he is a workaholic to the core, BUT....


I wouldn't change a single thing about him. I love him for all of his flaws and I love him even more for being just who he is. He is caring, loyal, dedicated, kind, strong, would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it, he is everything that I love. And I am so thankful that he is my husband!!! Happy Birthday Honey! Hope you had a great day yesterday!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your hair looks SO GOOD in that picture!

Miralee said...

That was on our honeymoon in Mexico. I had grown it out for the wedding...I wouldn;t mind having it that way again but it takes so long to do.

Plus I would look like casper if I had it that blonde now...I had some color a.k.a a tan - now not so much. But thanks!