16 December 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY H.O.T.Y!!!

Today is a glorious day. No it's not because I slept last night, although that did help! Today is a glorious day because it's Karl's birthday. My Karl, my husband, my friend, my confidante, my reason, my sanity, my love, my life - oh and yes Max's amazing Father. Most of you know how Karl and I met but I am sure there are some of you out there that don't know the story so in honor of this glorious day I am going to share it.



Karl and I both worked at the same company ( I won't mention any names for fear of slander but most of you know where I am referring too...). He started in March of 2001 and I started in July. We worked in separate locations at the time. He was the Perennial Supervisor down in Clarkston and I was the HR Supervisor in Grand Blanc. As soon as I started the HR Supervisor from Clarkston kept saying how she needed to introduce me to him because he was this great guy...I was like yeah right. Heard it all before! After a few months of working I happened to be down in Clarkston to help out with one of their Employee of the Month Celebrations and Sharon (The HR Person) was bound and determined to hook us up.



She pointed him out to me and I thought "not bad" - good smile, pretty eyes, tall, don't really prefer blonde's but he cute. I don't go out of my way to talk to him and I don't think he noticed me...I kept my eye on him and after hearing him talk to other people and joke around I decided that I didn't like him, he was cocky to me. And after a few more months of working there I heard from other people that they felt the same way. He was kind of too big for his britches if you know what I mean.


Anyway, a little bit more time passed and my other friend Jill started telling me that we really should try and hook up, because he was this great guy - blah, blah, blah. Well we happened to meet up at a company bowling event and started talking, hanging out, laughing and I realized well he's not so bad. We ended up exchanging numbers by the end of the night and said that we would try to get together soon. Now this was an extremely busy time for us at work. The months of March thru July were crazy. You would work anywhere from 50-70 hours a week, 14 hour days. Insane.


Anyhow I called him up and we set a date to go and grab a bite to eat. We went to Chili's for dinner and then we went to a movie. We disagree on this because I don't remember going to a movie but he swears we did....we end up back at my place and we are just hanging out talking & chatting and he ends up falling asleep (remember the crazy hours). Finally he heads home and we decide that we had a good time and we should do it again.


A few weeks pass and we talk on the phone, see each other at work a few times, and then we end up setting another date up. He takes me to an indoor football game. We ate some junk food, had a few beers, and just chilled. Headed back to his place, watched a movie, and just talked. I knew then that I really liked him. I left that night and we both said that we had a great time and we would get together soon....now this is where the story gets crazy. Karl and I have differing opinions about what's happens here.


At the time Karl was good friends with one of the owner's of the a fore mentioned company we worked at. I did not really care for him. I will refer to him at "C". Anyway "C" was recently married, I had met her a few times and she was nice....one day at work "C" mentions that Wife would like to hang out and go to a movie. I told him I didn't think that would be a great idea because I hadn't been working there long, I was the HR person and I didn't want employees to feel hesitant coming to me about problems because of me being buddies with one of the owners. "C" said that he understood. Apparently not. I found out later that we went home and told Wife that I didn't want to hang out because I didn't like her. WHATEVER! In the mean time I continued on with life and tried to call Karl a few times and it seemed that he fell of the face of the earth. He wouldn't return my calls, I never saw him at work anymore, it was like he didn't exist. For 2 weeks I tried to call him. At that moment I figured that "C" must have said something to him about me and that was why he wasn't calling me back.


In an effort to make this long story a bit shorter I moved on. Started dating some idiot that was younger than me and he ended up being a complete waste of time (Karl called him a time killer). One day I happened to be down in Clarkston for some work thing and ran into Karl. Keep in mind at this point it had been about 6-7 weeks and I had seen/heard hide nor hair of him. He walks up to me with this cocky little smile, stands next to me and says, "I guess I should grovel huh?" I turn to look at him and with the most adoring smile I could come up with I said, "don't bother, I am seeing someone. So he just laughs and walks away.


There is more to this story.....I hear Max stirring so I am going to keep you all in suspense and post Part II later today! Stay Tuned.....

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Happy Birthday Karl!!