10 December 2007

The Battle Has Begun...

When I was pregnant I had decided that I didn't want to give Max a pacifier. Mainly because I didn't want to try and break him of it later. But Mom-Mom found a great article that said having a pacifier helped eliminate SIDS. So I started thinking that maybe I would give it a try.

When Max was born and had the jaundice they would give him a pacifier with sugar/water on it when they had to get blood, to try and keep them calm. When we got home we found that he liked the pacifier but he wasn't always great at keeping it in his mouth all on his own, many times you would have to hold it there for him. At first I just thought this was because he was so little ~ he still does it. It's better but often I have to hold it for him.

Karl and I decided last night that the Nuk (that is what we call it) has to go. Max slept great from 9 pm until about 1:30 am/2 am and then after that he kept spitting it out and waking up. For the next hour Karl and I must have got up 3 or 4 times to give it back to him. I really don't believe in the "crying it out" theory. The theory is that you put them in their crib when they are drowsy not asleep and then just walk away. They supposedly will just figure out how to fall asleep and usually it entails them crying themselves to sleep. I feel so horrible when he does it, and there are so many articles that I have read lately that say it can lead to feelings of abandonment, giving them a feeling that they are not important, etc. So I have decided that I don't want to do that.

Anyway when I got up this morning I did not clip his Nuk on him like I usually do. We got up had some cereal, bottle, and then played for a bit. About 9:45 am I could see that he was starting to get a little sleepy ~ rubbing his eyes, yawning, the whole bit. So I scooped him up and headed into his room and started to rock. At first he was good, looking up at me smiling and cooing and then after about 10 minutes of that he really started to get sleepy and "The Battle" began. I won't go into all the gory details but lets just say I started to get him to sleep at 10 am and at 10:35/10:40 am he was asleep. I know I said that I don't believe in the crying it out but I guess it's kind of different when I am holding him while he is crying. I feel like I am still there letting him know I am trying to help and I won't leave him when he is angry/frustrated/etc.

Needless to say he is at this moment looking like an angel in his swing. I was to afraid to try and put him in his crib, thought he might wake up. I am only human, one step at a time!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

He will sleep better, and longer once he is not looking for his Nuk. Hang in there, just hold him and love him. Can't wait to see you guys in Jan.

Miralee said...

He is sleeping right now. His 3rd "catnap" of the day. He slept about an hour the first time. Was up for about 2 hours and then fell back asleep for 45 minutes and was up for an hour and now is back to sleep. Each time he seems to be crying a little less and less.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a good night, not great just good.

Can't wait to see you guys either!

The Nut House... said...

I don't believe in letting them cry it out either. I was lucky in that my kids just were so exhausted and fell asleep w/o the battle. I'm thanking my lucky stars.

Good luck!