09 January 2008

Shock and Disbelief...

I am writing about an event that happened in the Rudolph family home last night. I am sure that you will be just as shocked and disbelieving as I am.

I have decided that Max can no longer be held in order to get him to sleep. It's amazing how fast these little ones grasp a routine and it's even more amazing it is of how hard it is to break them of that routine. I know, I know another battle with Max. I am sure that you are all thinking that I have nothing better to do with my time than battle with him but I can assure you I don't.

Yesterday I put him down for his afternoon nap in his crib fully awake. He did not like this one tiny little bit. I have to say that my strength was waning when I saw him lying there with his little chubby arms out to me just screaming pick me up, pick me up. But I held fast and finally after 8 full songs on his sleeping CD (thanks for that little trick Val) he was asleep. Roughly that was about 35-40 minutes. What fun! Unfortunately he only slept like that for about 20 minutes. I could see that he was still exhausted so instead of picking him up to get him back to sleep I did the next best worst thing and put him in his swing. He slept from 6 pm until 8 pm. Relief.

When Karl I got home I told him of my latest venture and he just chuckled. We both figured that putting Max to bed was going to be a chore and Karl decided that he would take the first round. So at 8:30 pm we got Max his dinner, cleaned him up, and Karl settled down in his room and gave him his bottle. At this time I was in the bedroom trying to take the worlds fastest cat nap so I could be ready for round 2 and less than 5 minutes after he finished his bottle Karl comes strolling into the bedroom. I opened my eyes and asked if it was my turn. He said no, he is asleep.

I just about fell out of bed. Wait did you just say he was asleep??? How can that be. I fought with him for almost an hour and you get less than 5 minutes. He replies, "I have the touch." I had a few choice words for my HOTY at the particular moment. I would like to also say that he slept all night but he didn't. He slept until 1 am or so and then spent the next few hours rolling around, fussing, talking to himself, etc. I am not a real fan of morning these days.

I am happy to report that this morning when I put him down for a nap it only took me 7 full songs from the CD. Progress is slow coming I guess!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hold on Max, Nana is on her way! Or should I say hold on Mandy?
See you tomorrow.

The Nut House... said...

THAT is hysterical. Doesn't it totally frost your cookies when you are at wits end with the kids and the hubby can get them to do something without really trying. Just grinds my nerves! lol.

What CD are we listening to?

Melanie said...

Do you want me to have a little chat with Max and explain to him that if he does not start sleeping through the night then I am not going to buy him a car when he turns 16?