30 June 2008

A New Church...

Karl and I have been searching since we moved out here to the East Coast for a Lutheran church. Apparently there are not many Lutheran's in southern New Jersey because we have not had a lot of luck. We found one but it was an hour north of us and as much as we want to get back into going to church we don't want to drive an hour, go through an hour service, then drive another hour home. I just don't think Max is ready for all that!

Luckily we were out driving one day coming home from somewhere and we passed a church and I have started looking at every church I see while out driving, so I casually glance at this one and at the last minute I see it's a Lutheran Church....I yell to Karl and I do a U'ie and park in the parking lot to make sure what I saw was correct....it was! So we wrote the name down and what time the service started and we were on our way.

Well as you all know last weekend we were in Michigan for Carl & Tree's party so we decided that this weekend we would go. Sunday morning I got up with Max and we played for a bit, had some breakfast and then I put him down a little early for his nap so that he could get some sleep in before we had to leave. Normally he doesn't go down for his nap till close to 9 am...well I got lucky because at 8 am he was asleep. I did a bit of work on the computer, Karl was still sleeping, and then at about 8:30'ish I started getting ready. Karl got up, showered, and we woke Max up at just a few minutes past 9 am so we could get him dresses and ready to go.

Service was to start at 10 am and we got there about 9:40 am, hung out in the car for a few minutes and then headed in. When we walked in everyone was greeting everyone, you know "peace be with you", normally this happens 1/2 way through or towards the end of the service but we just though everyone was really, really nice...so we go and find a spot to sit down and the next thing we know we are doing the offering and singing the last hymn and then it's done. Karl and I were so confused. After the it was done a few people came up to us and welcomed us and we asked if there were two services?? They said no...they always have 9 am services in the summer because they have no air conditioning in the church....we started laughing and explained what had happened....I guess the person that is normally in charge of changing the sign had forgot to do it....

Anyway, it seemed like a really nice little church, and everyone was so nice to us and welcomed us back at the correct time next week. I think we might actually make that service on time!!!

2 comments:

The Nut House... said...

That is so funny. Now I don't know how it works in a Lutheran church, but in a catholic church, the priest walks down the aisle AFTER all the parishoners are there. Does your church do the same thing and if so, didn't it send up red flags that he was already there???

Miralee said...

Yes they do the same thing in the lutheran church but for some reason we didn't even think about it....but at least we made it for a little bit of the service!!