08 October 2008

Mad...Mad...Mad...

About 6-8 months ago New Jersey implemented a new law - you cannot talk on a cell phone while you are driving. I remember thinking that it was going to be so difficult for the police to catch people doing this...well just last week I found out how easy it is for them to catch you.

Last Wednesday I was on my way home from a skin care class, about 10 pm, (totally lost track of time and was chatting with my hostess) so I was calling Karl to let him know why I was running late. Here I am puttzing along, go through a light, hang up from him and I see the lights flashing. My first thought was that I ran a red light so I was panicking.

The officer comes up to the car and ask for my license and registration and then asks me why I was on my cell phone so I remember Val's previous post about being honest so I tell him.

"I teach skin care with Mary Kay, just left a class and was late and wanted to let my husband know I would be home soon". In the back of my mind I was really hoping he might say, "Mary Kay - my wife loves Mary Kay, let me order her something...". But what he said, "that's nice I'll be right back".

Whatever! Anyway he comes back and gives me a ticket- jerk! And tells me to have a nice night. And without even thinking I say, "Thank You" and "you too"....what the hell is wrong with me. I am thanking him for giving me a ticket - I think that I have completely lost my mind.

Of course the first thing I do when I see him turn the corner is get right back on the phone....LOL! But now I am stuck with an $85, yes you read that right, ticket. And the kicker is I see cops on their phones all the time....

I have contemplated fighting this but Karl said a guy at work told him his wife tried to fight one and since it's such a new law they are not letting anyone slide by.....WHATEVER!

4 comments:

Melanie said...

You can't talk on the phone even if you are on a hands free??

Miralee said...

You can if you are hands free, but I don't have a hand free tool - I swear that the gov. is coercing with the phone companies so we have to BUY more items to go with our dam cell phone!

Melanie said...

I think the car seat people are in cahoots with the government and that is why they changed the law for the booster seats. Now you have to buy an infant seat, a regular baby car seat, and now a booster seat.

Take my word, buy a bluetooth. It is worth the money. Unless you lose it.

The Nut House... said...

1. Use your phone to start snapping photos of THEM talking on their cell phones! Text those photos over to your law makers.

2. I HATE my bluetooth. I can't get it to work right. It constantly disconnects from my phone.