27 February 2010

Namaste...

At the beginning of the year I decided that I was on a mission to lose my last 10 lbs. of baby weight. Originally I started doing this with a clear intention of losing weight. I started doing different workouts....anything from the treadmill to cardio programs. Then one day I decided to try a yoga program from Comcast.

I was a little nervous because I didn't really feel all the flexible and I thought I might find it boring. I played soccer in high school, did some running for a while, basically I have always liked high energy workouts. I had a preconcieved notion that yoga was all about "ommming" and chanting and twisting into a pretzel. Both of which I assumed I could not do.

I in no way was able to do the poses as the instructor did but I was thrilled that I was able to do any of it. I felt more relaxed and ready to face the day. At that time I was getting up at 6 am and trying to squeeze in about 20-30 minutes. The first couple of weeks I was still going back and forth between some cardio, the treadmill, and throwing in some yoga, and maybe some pilates.

As the weeks went by I found myself not caring so much about whether or not the weight went away, I was estactic that I was becoming more flexible and was actually able to do some of the poses....and the breathing was helping me get "me" grounded. I found myself becoming a little more relaxed during the day....of course my 2 year old STILL knows how to push my worst buttons, but I came to the realization that is why yoga is called a practice. I have to keep working at it.

I have primarily been doing yoga as my only workouts these days. I now get up at 5 am and try to do at least a few minutes of meditation each morning...sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. There are some mornings where I am so frustrated that I just can't have quiet time but other days I find myself just being happy. Last night I was reading an article in my new Yoga Journal Magazine and read something that really inspired me....

Yoga Sutra I.36
There is always a light within us that is free from all sorrow and grief, no matter how much we may be experiencing suffering.

Reading that truly brings joy into my heart. To know that there is always a beacon of light inside of me that can overcome any darkness make me happy. It may be hard to remind myself that that little spark is there (especially when Max is pushing those buttons) but as long as I continue to breath and practice I know it will become brighter and brighter each day. Namaste.

3 comments:

The Nut House... said...

Melanie saved me with Yoga. A few years back, my mom suddenly became gravely ill. We didn't know if she would make it. She did indeed pull through, however I was a wreck. I actually thought I was going to end up on pills just to cope.

Mel stepped in and told me to go to Yoga. It was the best advice I could have ever gotten. Not only did I not have to take pills, it changed my outlook on life. My glass is DEFINITELY half full now.

I am so glad you are enjoying it. No matter what is going on in your life, you have that to help you through.

The light in me honors and reflects the light in you. Namaste

Melanie said...

After my very first yoga practice I knew I had finally found a physical activity that I could get on board with.

I'm glad you found that too.

Miralee said...

Thanks ladies! I am so blessed to have such amazing women in my life - even if you are 800 miles away!!! :)