03 March 2010

Gratitude....

American Heritage Dictionary describes gratitude as "thankfulness" or "pleasing". Why am I posting about the word gratitude you ask? Here is why. I am a natural born pessimist...always wanted to be an optimist but as I get older I am finally starting to accept me - at least most of the time. I still have many days where I can't stand anything about myself but I digress....

I have been reading all kind of articles about creating a gratitude journal and have been thinking about it for forever...so today while I was at Target getting a waterproof mattress pad for Max I saw a cute little notepad on clearance for a $1.78. I am a lover of all things paper.....as well as pens....it's a bit of an obsession. That is a whole 'nother story.

So I decided that today is the day I start thinking more about the things I am grateful for and less about the things that I am unhappy about or that I cannot change. As I mentioned I am a pessimist but I am grateful (see it's already working) that my hubbie is a total optimist. He is so good about not stressing about things he cannot change.  I LOVE that about him and I am hoping that the longer we are married he will rub off on me. I am tired of focusing on negative things, it is making me miserable. And causing me to gray prematurally.... he he he!

Tonight before I go to bed I am making a committment to myself and to my family that I will write down 5 things that I am grateful for. Anything from my health, my family, etc. to just general things that make me happy. Such as the sun shining or giggles from my children. You get the picture.

Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
~ Buddha

1 comment:

The Nut House... said...

LOVE the quote. Couldn't say it any better myself. I am a total "glass is half full" girl. If there isn't a hospital bed in your living room with a dying loved one in it, you have A LOT to be thankful for. Count your blessings.