29 May 2010

What's Your Dosha....

I have become a Yoga junkie....I just cannot get enough. I have three different books that I am reading right now that are in the Yoga family. I must get on Yoga Journal maybe 2 or 3 times a day, it's crazy.

I have been reading more about meditating as well as balancing out my diet. One of the more interesting topics I have been reading about is all about Ayurveda. "Ayurveda, which translates as "knowledge of life," dates back 5,000 years to the ancient Sanskrit texts, the Vedas. It's a system of healing that examines physical constitution, emotional nature, and spiritual outlook in the context of the universe. According to the philosophy, universal life force manifests as three different energies, or doshas, known as vata, pitta, and kapha." (This was copied from yogajournal.com). 

There are five elements of space; air, earth, fire and water that make up everything in the universe including our own human bodies. In Ayurveda they come together to create three different types or doshas. Which are known as Vata, Pitta and Kapha. By knowing what type you are you can understand what activities, food and lifestyle elements that can help you nurture your health as well as what might cause you to become unbalanced.

I found a really cool website where you can take a quiz to find out your type, it's called What's Your Dosha. It gives you all kinds of info about what are good foods for your to eat and ones that you might want to stay away from, as well as how you might sleep, how stress affects you, etc. I was truly amazed at how spot on alot of the information was, for me at least.

Since I have started planning our meals for the month we are eating more healthy meals. But for me personally I still am not very good about eating fruits or grains/legumes. I eat a Luna Bar in the morning along with my coffee, I usually have whatever Max is eating for lunch (PB & J, Mac-n-Cheese, nuggets & fries), and then whatever we might be having for dinner. I am not good about eating a balanced breakfast OR lunch and if I snack it's not on things that are good for me. Which is ridiculous because the things I give Max to snack on ARE healthy; bananas, oranges, apples, grapes, or maybe pretzels. I am not sure why I just don't eat the same things I am giving him....

After yesterday and reading all about my dosha I have decided to make it a personal challenge. I printed out a list of foods that are balancing for my dosha (which I am a Vatta in case you were all wondering) and I am going to try and eat at least 1 or 2 things off that list. Then I am going to try and build up to 3 or 4, etc. What kind of example am I setting for my children if I am not doing the same thing.

Namaste'.

2 comments:

The Nut House... said...

Wow, you are right on with this post! I am all over what my kids eat, however I eat junk! I thought I was the only one like this. In my quest to lose weight, I have been watching what "skinny" people are eating and I will tell you this... I'm not eating what they are eating.

I'm going to do my quiz to see what my Dosha is.

Miralee said...

Val you always make me laugh (the part about eating what skinny people are eating...) It is such a hard thing for me to do, but I am determined to get better at it.