25 March 2010

Round two...

Two years ago Karl and I got the bright idea that we were going to create our very own vegetable garden. It was supposed to start out just being something small that we could grow a few things in and then if we wanted to we could add to it each season. If anyone knows Karl and I you know that we don't always see eye to eye.

As I said it was supposed to start out small....yet it turned into this gigantic garden that was probably 30 x 30 feet....MONSTROUS. I kept suggesting we make it smaller but my husband has a "go big or go home" attitude so I just let him go to it. Karl got the rototiller out and went to work, after that we plunked all our little seedling plants into the ground and waited. The best of intentions was planted along with all our seeds but as you know sometimes intentions don't always turn out...

Here are a few reasons our first garden failed...
1. It was HUMONGOUS...
2. It was sooo far away from the house it was an absolute pain to drag the hose over and water it...
3. It was HUMONGOUS...
4. The weeds became out of control becuase we were not very motivated to weed....
5. We attempted to put weed mat down in an effort to minimize the weeds but that just ended up killing some of the plants as well...

All in all we ended up with some zucchini...and a small pumpkin. Sad but true.

SOOOOO this year we are trying again. Since I am really into cooking now I would LOVE to be able to cook with my own vegetables (and not to be political but the Government is making me want to be self sustainable if you know what I mean)...so we decided to create a raised bed. It's MUCH smaller, MUCH closer to the house and we are going to put the weed mat down FIRST....hopefully in coming months I can write about how awesome my green beans taste and how juicy my tomatos are. :)

We are going this weekend to get all of our seeds and a few plants....can't wait. I will try and get some pictures so that I can define the moment!

1 comment:

The Nut House... said...

So I thought I put a comment here and now I see it isn't here at all. HMMmmmm? Maybe I'm must nuts.

Anyway, my comment was this...

In our old house, we had this GREAT backyard. It was huge, and somewhat private. Behind the garage there was a section outlined in brick which led us to believe it was a garden or could be a garden.

We were so proud of our little plot. That is until I found out that pole beans require a pole to grow up so they won't choke out the corn and anything else growing in their path. That... was the end of that garden. Because we now live on a postage stamp, we are incorporating veggies into our flower beds. In fact, I have a GREAT space behind the house that is relatively large and was always used for flowers. Now that it occurred to me that it gets a TON of sun, we are going to put veggies in it instead! We will be planting seeds this weekend!