20 October 2010

Just call me frustrated....

We are in the process of potty training Max. It is a frustrating process. It seems to be a never ending process. It's a process I am tired of having.

We actually started potty training last year right before I had Emma in the hopes that we might get him trained before Emma actually arrived. Hah. He was so not ready for it. So we waited. Then about 6 months ago we really dug our heels in and started. We bought him big boy underwear, even let him pick them out. He did really great for two days, not on single accident then he just didn't care anymore. He would sit in wet/dirty undies and not even tell us.

We reverted to pull-ups thinking maybe that was too big of a step. He did OK but would still not ever tell us he had to go. The last month or so I have been setting a timer and telling him when it goes off it's time to use the bathroom.....when the timer goes off he will go pee if I take him in there but won't voluntarily tell us he has to go. He has gone poop twice and has not done it again since then.

He will crawl away into a corner and I can tell he is getting ready to go, I get him all hyped up by laughing and playing and I  get him to go in the bathroom and he will sit on the toilet for about 20 seconds and then say " no poo-poo"....I try and bribe him to sit and that lasts for about 10 more seconds and he starts to scream so I let him down. Not 30 seconds later he will walk by me and I know he went....ugh. I am so frustrated. I feel like I have tried everything.

We have done stickers, fruit snacks (which he loves..), this past weekend we even went out and bought this big dragon and set it on top of the entertainment center and told him when he goes poop in the potty he can have it. The first day he cried because he could not have it, it's been three days and he could care less. What am I doing wrong. I am a complete loss....should I just continue to let him wear diapers and stop trying.

I am in desperate need of some Mom advice. HELP!

2 comments:

The Nut House... said...

I think I may have told you this before, but I can't remember. The best advice I EVER got came from my friend Michelle. She said, "NOTHING on the bottom. No pants, no pull-ups, no underware. NOTHING". Just a shirt. I said, "Are you nuts?!" She said, "He won't have something to catch it, so he won't go".

So... I did just that. Greg had 1 accident in which he cried as he peed on himself and that was it. He was potty trained within 3 days. Best advice I ever got.

If you want this overwith, take my "handed down" advice. Cancel your schedule, and let him run naked.

Miralee said...

We did that....he thought it was funny to pee all over the kitchen floor. Then he played in it. Also pooped on our bedroom floor - again played in it. We have actually tried this a couple of times and he has no hesitation in going wherever he is - whether he has something on or not. Trust me I can attest to cleaning the couch cushion on more than one occasion. :)