05 July 2010

Put down the toy, and just walk away....

Madness. That is what I call the TOY area in our home. We don't have a very large home but we have managed to condense most of the kids toys to one corner of our living room. Max also has a toy box in his room for the overflow ~ which often gets spread through the entire house.

Overflow is not really the best way to describe the MADNESS of how many toys we have. Let me give you a brief rundown.....we have a corner of our living room with a toy box as well as a large bookcase with two shelves STUFFED with books. Then Max of course has his toy box in his room, of course FULL of toys AND the whole top shelf loaded with books.  I don't mind all the books but the toys drive me insane!

Then downstairs in the basement we have 5, yes I said 5, totes FULL of toys. Every few months I try and switch out the toys so everything feels new again. All of this sound fine ~ except for the fact that mysteriously these toys start to multiply.  I can't say mysteriously, I know where they come from. We have grandparents and aunts and uncles that are continuously giving to the kids. It's is out of control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you see what I am talking about! The top photo is just a few of the totes that Karl hauled up from the basement. Then Max decided to help me, I guess you could call it that. The bottom one is just pure insanity.

I decided that I am having a yard sale this weekend, not only to get rid of some these toys, but to finally clean out our basement of stuff we just don't use. We still have some totes and boxes from our move out here. If I haven't unpacked them in 3 years I don't need it.

I am calling out to all you grandparents ( and aunts & uncles) to PLEASE stop buying all these toys! When you feel the urge to pick up that toy turn around, walk out of the store and open a bank account. Put the money in a college fund - by the time Max and Emma are ready for college I will have to pick up a 2nd mortgage so any bit will help. Thanks!

1 comment:

The Nut House... said...

I can't help but laugh. We had it all under control too at one point then BAM! Crap everywhere. Still trying to weed out the stuff.

I need a huge pack of boxes so I can get this stuff boxed up and donated. Period.