12 March 2008

Dooms Day...

The Dentist. Those two little words strike fear in me like no other, well except maybe every scary movie preview, I am not a fan of the dentist which is ironic because Opa, my wonderful father in law is one.

Saturday night I woke up to a horrible, throbbing, excruciating pain in my back molar....the one with the blinged out gold crown, (I used to be a hood rat...ha ha, just kidding!). I inhaled about 20 Tylenol, (ha ha, again just kidding) and tried to get myself back to sleep. Sunday it's wasn't so bad but I did call a few dentists in our area trying to get in asap to have someone look at it.....Monday one of the offices called me at 9:30 am and said we have a 12 pm slot open...

Oh, I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I have an 8 month old at home who my world revolves around so that won't work. I get the next best one, Tuesday at 11 am. I make the appt., call one of my life lines, a.k.a Mom-Mom and see if she can come down. She says yes and I immediately start to sweat. By her saying yes this means that I actually have to go TO the dentist, I can't just say I SHOULD go to the dentist. Tuesday rolls around and I have bile just swimming through my stomach...Mom-Mom gets to the house and I can just feel myself wanting to procrastinate somehow and not go, but I know that is not an option.

I get to the dentist, they get me right in the "chair of pain & misery" and to make a long story short tell me that I have an abscess tooth and I have two options. One; they can yank it out and I can live with one less molar, or two; they can send me to someone to have a root canal. AAAAUUUUGGGHHHH...neither of those sound good to me. I decide to call my trusty Father in Law and we chat for a few minutes, I tell him the scoop and the next thing I know I have an appt at his office with one of his co-villain's, oops I mean co-workers! HE HE HE!

At 4:30 am this morning I hop in the reliable mini-van and zoom up to New York. I forgot to mention the other thing I am deathly afraid of is driving to New York.....this morning I had to do it for the first time AND by myself. Let me tell you I had quite the work out because I almost couldn't walk when I got there because my body was so tense, and let's not even talk about how tense I was when they started working on me....

When it was all said and done....it' wasn't that bad. All that worrying for nothing. The kicker is that I have to go back in 2 weeks so they can finish it....OMG. I have to go back to the dentist! AAAAUUUGGGGHHHHH

2 comments:

Miralee said...

I know, I know...that is what I kept telling myself but it just wasn't working! I am hoping that by the time I have to go back I will have built my courage back up!

Anonymous said...

Ouch. I totally understand. I hate the dentist. I am also a dentist slut. I am never happy with them and pretty much go to a new one every year.

One time I was having a filling replaced and I nearly passed out in the chair! My friend was the assistant and saw me going "down". They had to stop work and let me rest. Strange thing is it didn't hurt! I was just scared. So I totally feel ya on this one. Good luck next week.